J-Life Africa is a non denominational movement that exists to train leaders to mobilise disciplemaking movements across Africa. We believe that the most effective way to bring life transformation is not through the age-old “seminar” or “lecture” model, but rather through “life-on-life” mentoring and coaching. The “life- on-life” concept is based on spending more time with trainees. The more time we spend in close relationship with the trainees, the more we will transfer the DNA of Christ. J-Life seeks to mobilise leaders that want a holistic approach to the wonderful news of Christ, an approach that will transform communities.
- J-Life Africa is a non denominational movement that exists to train leaders to mobilise disciplemaking movements in Africa and to the ends of the earth. J-Life Africa has representatives in over twenty countries across Africa. Our present administrative and training hub is in South Africa. New centres are being set up in Zambia and Cameroon.
J-Life Ministries launched in January 2001 with our primary focus being training and coaching emerging leaders to implement the disciplemaking model as taught by Sonlife. For this to be done effectively, potential leaders were recruited annually for a year-long programme. These leaders were trained and coached intensively for a four month period and then released to multiply this training by coaching others in local churches.
Sonlife Africa launched at the same time and operated as a seminar training organisation. Within a few years training had spread into 16 countries across the continent of Africa. Sonlife Africa assigned country leaders in seven countries.
In 2005 J-Life Ministries merged with ASAP (Africa Sports and Praise) and a ‘year of your life’ programme. This diversified our training to incorporate sports ministry using the arts and a Life Discipleship programme.
From the beginning, J-Life Ministries and Sonlife Africa felt that we shared the same DNA but due to a difference in methods of implementation, two separate movements were formed. In 2006, God led the two ministries to merge which would bring together the different methodologies and strengthen the movement.
At our annual gathering of African leaders in 2007 it was decided to use the name J-Life Africa. Since late 2007 J-Life Ministries has been referred to as J-Life Africa.
- Ministry philosophy
- The following critical principles and values lie at the heart of our ministry philosophy and define our “DNA” as an organisation.
- Jesus is our Model
- Disciplemaking is our Mission
- Love is our Motive
- Organic ministry is our Method
- The Holy Spirit is our Means
- Fruit is our Measure
- The Gospel is our Message
- The Church is our Medium
- Youth are our Mandate
- Relationships are our Momentum
- Leading Servants is our Motto
- Kingdom Obedience is our Distinctive Mark
- Statement of beliefs
- We believe that God is the Eternal King, Creator and Ruler of all things.
- We believe that Satan and his hosts have set up a counterfeit kingdom of darkness.
- We believe God created mankind in his own image for relationship with him.
- Original man sinned against God and this resulted in God’s judgement on the world.
- We believe that God did not abandon His rule over the earth but revealed his grace to sinful man by convicting man of sin through God’s Spirit, and bringing man to salvation in Christ alone.
- We believe in Christ as Mediator, Saviour and Eternal King.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is and was active and working as part of the Godhead from all time. We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells Believer’s in Jesus Christ and that He is our abiding Helper, Teacher, and Guide.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit inspired the human authors of Holy Scripture so that the Bible is God’s Word to man and is without error.
- We believe in the power of the Gospel over the kingdom of darkness.
- We believe that the Church is the ongoing witness of God’s love and grace and is proof of God’s Kingdom rule.
- We believe that Jesus Christ committed two ordinances to the Church: baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- We believe that God’s kingdom has come in the ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ, that it continues to come in the ministry of the Spirit through the Church, and that it will be fully completed in the second coming of and final judgment by Christ.
J-Life Promo material for download
Founding directors’ story
John and Lorna Abrahamse’s story
Lorna and I both served on youth ministry teams that toured South Africa during the early 1990s, ministering in a different church each week. A few years later as a youth pastoral couple in a church, we took a number of short term missions into countries in Southern Africa.
The picture that emerged from all of these experiences was true to each situation and country – youth would come to an exciting meeting but they were never integrated into the church. God was using all of these experiences to birth in our hearts the desire to see the church in Africa equipped to mobilise disciplemaking movements that would impact the local and global community.
It has been both exciting and challenging being part of seeing God’s faithfulness in growing the movement – at His pace – and we are constantly in awe of what He does.
To effectively fulfill our purpose we believe that the following four ingredients need to be evident in all that we do:
This ingredient highlights the importance of relationships in mobilising leaders and workers. The sooner a connection between trainer/coach and trainee can be established, and the deeper this relationship can be, the greater will be the transfer of the DNA.
This involves a multi-faceted transfer of the DNA to trainees. J-Life believes that this “impartation” cannot happen in isolation and has to occur in the context of the other ingredients listed herein. Other words for ‘impart’ are: pass on, communicate, inform, tell, convey, teach, instruct, divulge, disclose, reveal, expose.
As a ministry, J-Life is responsible to not only “impart information” but also to ensure that the trainee is coached and mentored in the implementation of this information.
J-Life will endeavour to provide resources and assistance to those individuals with whom J-Life has in some way been able to “connect, impart and equip”. This is done to enable these individuals to fulfill a calling that resonates with the core values and ministry beliefs of J-Life.
Some of our ministry partners
J-Life international staff members
John & Lorna Abrahamse
International Director & Co-founder
International Board, Lead Team and Executive Assistant
International Lead Team and Regional Leader
International Lead Team and Regional Leader
International Lead Team and Zambia Country Leader
International Lead Team and South Africa Country Leader
David & Liz Even
International Lead Team and Ministry Director